Monday, December 31, 2018

The dogs of our KY house

When we negotiated the details about the purchase of our farm in Kentucky, one of the things that was talked about was the existing animals. We were excited to get the chickens, the ducks, and the turkey, and I didn't care one way or the other about the cats, but the old goat and the three dogs made me a mite nervous. On moving day, after the previous owners were gone, we arrived at the farm with the UHaul packed with all of our possessions and our car packed with our kids. The dogs came running out to greet us. Yikes! Madame, the Border Collie wagged her tail and barked. Sheila, the German Shepherd, Border Collie, and who-the-heck knows what else has her ears up and tail down and was barking; I was a little nervous. Baloo, Sheila's pup, but now full-grown, with his one blue eye and one brown eye stood with his hackles up, tail down, and a low, steady, teeth-showing growl; I was ready to deed the house to him and go back to Tennessee where I'd come from. Steve got out of the UHaul and walked up to the door. The dogs were pacing back and forth between the door where Steve was and the driveway where everyone else was. As soon as I crossed the bridge going from the driveway to the walk up to the house, Baloo stayed close to me and glared and growled.

No comments:

Post a Comment