Monday, December 31, 2018

Tell me about yourself.

I'm just starting to realize that I'm kind of a weird person. I can see my family members shaking their heads in wonder, thinking, "She just NOW realized it?" There is a quote by Madeleine L'Engle in A Circle of Quiet that reads:
Jung disagreed with Freud that the decisive period in our lives is the first years. Instead, Jung felt that the decisive period is that in which my husband and I are now, the period of our middle years, when we have passed through childhood with its dependency on our parents; when we've weathered the storms of adolescence and the first probings into the ultimate questions; when we've gone through early adulthood with its problems of career and marriage and bringing up our babies; and for the first time in our lives find ourselves alone before the crucial problem of who, after all these years, we are. All the protective covering of the first three stages is gone, and we are suddenly alone with ourselves and have to look directly at the great and unique problem of the meaning of our own particular existence in this particular universe.
In the past few years, I've mulled over life experiences, and after raising 3 children to adulthood, and the last 3 too teenagerhood, I realize that I'm quite unique.
I'll share the first time I can recall showing signs of being eccentric:
I was about 11 years old and had been playing outside by myself - I was raised as an only child after my sister left home when I was 8 - and I got bored. I walked inside and asked my mom to come outside and visit with me. While she was gathering things up to bring outside with her, I raced and got two lawn chairs and faced them toward each other. I sat down and she sat in the other chair and looked at me, and I said, "So, tell me about yourself."
 I try to picture my own children in this situation, but with no luck. They simply never cared to talk to me that way. What kind of an 11 year old asks that question of her mother? None that I know of.

No comments:

Post a Comment