Monday, December 31, 2018

Fact or Fiction: Does it matter??

In kindergarten, every so often we had show and tell. One day, I took a little, couple inch tall, pirate guy (it was before the days of action figures & none of his joints moved, so I don't think he could actually be called an action figure, so let's stick to "little pirate guy"). He was made all out of plastic; even his hair was just sculptured plastic. His clothes were pirate clothes and he had an eye patch. I don't remember what I said about him for the "tell" part of show and tell, but eventually, he got passed around by my "Indian Style"-leg-crossed- on-the-rug sitting classmates. One little boy who vexed me until I moved states in 3rd grade (who I later realized must have had a crush on me for how much he teased me, yet gave me a huge compliment that only a little boy could give - it involved a yard stick and telling me that mine was that long. Ahem. I think I figured out what he meant only a couple of years ago....anyway, back to the story) So, he got ahold of the doll, looked at the front, looked at the back, turned it upside down, then right side up and then gave his head a little squeeze... I had a conniption. I don't remember the teacher getting after me for raising my voice, but I'm pretty sure I yelled at him. I took back my pirate doll guy and gave him a look over (the pirate guy, not my classmate). That's when I saw it: that kid had squeezed the doll so hard he had bruised his head!! I gave him a mean look and among other things I said, I told him that he'd hurt the little pirate guy; BRUISED him! The kid, who had a greater grip on reality than I did but couldn't convince me of that, said that the little pirate guy couldn't get a bruise because he wasn't real. Oh my heck! If the little pirate guy's ears weren't so little, I would've clapped my hands over them so that he couldn't hear what my classmate, the monster, had said! Of course he could bruise! And don't you dare hurt his feelings and tell him he's not real!! I don't think I ever let that kid touch my show and tell again. Ever. So there! :P
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Then there was the time I plucked out eyelashes for my not-really-Barbie, Barbie doll. She had REAL eyelashes!! The only trouble was that they would get loose, like mine did sometimes, so I would pluck it out so that it wouldn't poke her in the eye and hurt her. The result was a bald section of eyelid. My sister told me to quit picking them out or she wouldn't have any eyelashes left. I reassured her that they'd grow back.

No comments:

Post a Comment